St. Peter’s Sunday School
S u n d a y S c h o o l N e w s ! !
The last Sunday school Sunday until September will be on June 24th.
Sunday school classes are offered during the morning service for all ages from September to June. Our coordinator is Myrlene Boken @ 705-456-6731.
For the next four weeks (April-May) the children are studying the Widows Mite (Oﬀering). We will be focusing on sharing our gifts and trying to understand what it is like for the poor of today and back in Jesus' time. On April 22 and 29th the children, in Martha's Bistro, will be making food from a typical food bank hamper. Everyone will be invited to share in our cooking after church these two Sundays. Bring an appetite.
C h i l d r e n ’s L e n t e n O u t r e a c h P r o j e c t
This year the children put together Easter Gift Baskets for the Seniors on the 3rd floor of the Seniors Integrated Care Unit at RVH. Many seniors who are hard to place in Long Term Care, live here. Many do not have a lot of family visiting them. We have been in contact with the Recreation Director and they would love to receive something for these seniors. They often fall through the cracks of outreach programs because people are not aware that this unit exists. They made twelve baskets in total for women and men and decorated them with cheery cards and flowers to wish the residents a Happy Easter.
It is important that the children are involved in purchasing the items for these baskets.. The children made sandwiches and dessert on March 4th for the soup luncheon. They earned some money toward the seniors baskets.
Palm Sunday 2018
Christmas Pageant on Dec. 17th.
During Lent, the children made “Blessing Bags” for the homeless at the David Busby Centre in Barrie. The children used their allowance to buy items as needed. They also put money in the jar for purchasing items. The bags were packaged on Easter Sunday.
The children study the stories in four labs:
The Computer Lab (The Church Mouse Pad), The Cooking Lab (Martha's Bistro), The Video Lab (Holy Word Theater) and the Art Lab (Thou Art Studios) We have a large group of talented volunteers who teach every Sunday. All teachers are screened. In addition to the time in Sunday School, each child will have an opportunity to use their gifts and talents in the church service throughout the year. Myrlene Boken is the Sunday school coordinator and can be reached at 705-456-6731 if you have any questions.
All children rotate throughout the various labs, from preschool to grade six. Older children have the opportunity of worshiping in the service or they can volunteer in the Sunday school to help with the younger classes.
Feb. 14th, 2016: The children in Sunday school finished tying off the edges on the quilt they are donating to Youth Haven. This project has helped the children realize the need in the community for something as basic as a quilt that we all take for granted. Thanks to all the children who worked on this.
Feb. 7th, 2016: Cameron puts some money he has earned into the jar at church as part of the Lenten project for the Sunday school. Children are earning money by doing chores for their parents and others, collecting what they can for the food bank. WTG Cameron.
Lucas washing dishes at Grandma's house to earn money for the Food Bank as their Lenten project.
Jocelyn earns her money for the jar by rescuing the cover for the BBQ! Good job, Jocelyn
Jocelyn puts her donation into the jar for the Food Bank.
Feb. 7th, 2016 the children made some donations for Youth Haven. Each child put together a gift and decorated the cards with their names and ages. This is our children learning how to give of their time and talents to those in our community. Below are three pictures taken of the gifts and two of our children, Emma and Jase Williamson, showing the gifts they made.
The four new labs are featured above. The children are enjoying a different lab each Sunday as they learn about the bible stories.
- Each year there is a Palm Sunday Parade. The procession leaves from the local Churchill Library and makes its way to the church for 9:15 service. This is a family and community event that is not to be missed. The Hosanna banner leads the way, while participants wave their palms.
- Every summer the children and youth join together for VBS (Vacation Bible School).
- Family outings are planned throughout the year.
St. Peter’s Church
Sunday Service: 9:15 am
- 07Meeting Room6254 Yonge Street, Churchill, Lefroy, ON, CanadaSoup w/bun Sunday on the 1st Sunday of each month. Donation basket will be available. This is an outreach program.6254 Yonge Street, Churchill, Lefroy, ON, CanadaEvery Sunday after service at approximately 10:45 am
- 08No events
- 09No events
- 10Cannot determine address at this location.The monthly outreach lunch program, formerly run by Cookstown United Church, has recently relocated to St. John’s. This meal is open to all and costs $8/person the 2nd Wed. of each month We wish the leadership and volunteers of this group blessings and much success as they continue their ministry to the community.Proceeds raised provide support for school lunch programs, food banks, Food Grains and other community support groups. For more information call Faye Elines at (705-458-4791).Meeting Room29 Church Street, Cookstown, ON, CanadaSt. John's has formed a prayer group that meets on Wednesday evenings from 8-9 p.m. We pray for our parish, community and anyone in need. All are welcome to attend. If you would like to request a prayer to our group, please call Liz Kippers at 705-458-1968.
- 1129 Church Street, Cookstown, ON, CanadaChoir meets at 7:30 every Thursday evening in the church*NO CHOIR PRACTICE ON CHRISTMAS EVE DAY
- 12The Cookstown Guide Unit will be meeting on Friday evenings at St. John's beginning on Sept. 22nd from 6:30-8 p.m. The Guides are for girls in grades 4-6 years. If anyone is interested in joining the unit or to volunteer, please contact Lee-Ann Ray at: firstname.lastname@example.org or (705) 458-1525.
- 13No events